15 September 2016

The Circle of Life

Disney’s much-loved The Lion King is an animated movie aimed at children that explains life as a Circle.  Our family is in the midst of this Circle of Life.

This is a special DHC Hope blog entry being published more widely to share what is happening.   Thursday (15 September) I needed medical attention.  In October our daughter is marrying her fiancé and J, K, E and Z are expecting another member in their family.

My Liver is Failing

Tuesday night I experienced severe pain in my liver, which despite taking five Endone continued into the morning.  The pain, which is less now, felt like a knife being continuously twisted in the middle of my liver.

Barbara helped me dress to minimise the pain.  Great relief came when I sat in the rocker-recliner chair in our lounge room.  I ate breakfast and watch TV comfortably.  However, when I got up and moved the pain soared.

Despite my situation, we were able to enjoy a visit from Jane of World Vision to thank her for introducing The BezCan Project to the Global Development Group.  We shared some good news that BezCan will be able do some building work at each school due to additional donations.  I aim to share this good news in a BezCan newsletter next week.

Mid morning Barbara drove me to Dr Naomi Ginges’ surgery.  I struggled to walk the short distance from the car.

Home Visits

Our consultation was intense and included Dr Naomi phoning Phil Sheard at Palliative Care to discuss my treatment.  My medication is changed from 30 mg of Targin to 30 mg of oxycodone hydrochloride twice per day beginning tonight.  The poor functioning of my liver means that one of the ingredients in Targin is not breaking down and is causing the pain.  I took a double dose of Endone when I got home.  Hopefully from tonight the pain will be controlled.

From next Thursday, Dr Naomi will begin weekly home visits.  Phil from Palliative Care will be visiting this coming Monday and Thursday and regularly after that.  This is a big change that shows the seriousness of my situation.

Barbara and I appreciate how the Australian Health Care System has swung into action.  Naomi’s General Practice began bulk billing from today.  This means they charge the Australian Government for my consultations, here at home or at their surgery.  Naomi told me ‘you have paid your taxes and medical bills; now it is time for us to look after you.’  Wow, what a wonderful country we live in.  We thanked her for the quality and kindness of her care; our typical experience.

October Wedding

Late Tuesday afternoon our daughter brought her fiancé and his parents here for afternoon tea.  It is the first time the six of us have met at the same time.  We spent an hour together celebrating the upcoming marriage, talking about the wedding, sharing family stories, laughing and singing ‘Happy Birthday’.  (Three photos in different lighting.)




A Decade of Four Weddings

A decade ago our eldest son married.  Now almost exactly one decade later, the last of our children is marrying.  Each wedding has been different; full of love with friends and families thrilled each marriage took place.

I know that you my readers, our family and friends are thrilled our daughter and her fiancé are marrying in mid October.  They have planned a small wedding of thirty people, including children, here at Club 55.  It will be a short ceremony lead by a marriage celebrant followed by a catered reception during the late afternoon.

Both of them want to make it comfortable for me to be present.  I can just cope with two to three hours.  Barbara and I are grateful for their generosity.

This means that many family members and friends who are dear to them will not be attending.  I ask you to respect their decision, know that they love you and send them greetings of joy and blessing as they ‘officially’ begin their lives together.

October Birth

Soon after the wedding, we are expecting the birth of our fifth grandchild, the third child of our eldest son and his wife.


I am glad that I will have seen my four children happily married, carving out their lives with their spouses, growing their careers and pursuing their dreams.  I am glad that I will have met five of my grandchildren.  From what I can see, my family will be close to each other and our grandchildren are surrounded by love.

1 comment:

  1. David.. my warmest wishes to you and all your family as you so bravely face this challenge. Regards. Jen Huett

    ReplyDelete