03 August 2015

Chemotherapy Scheduled in Two Weeks

This morning (Monday 3 August) Barbara and I met with my oncologist Dr Kate Mahon.  The blood test this morning showed that my liver is functioning reasonably normally: two indicators are above normal and three are within normal range.  Kate’s interpretation is that overall things are under control.

The blood test also showed that there some deterioration has occurred in the kidney function.  This is due to the lymph node that is pressing on the tube from the right kidney.  I see the urologist on Thursday afternoon.  The three of us are hoping that he will be able to insert a stent this Friday.

Why is Friday important?  Kate wants chemotherapy to start about a week after the stent has been inserted.  The blood test on the morning of the chemo can be used to check that the kidney has settled down and it is OK to have chemo teatment.  The chemotherapy is scheduled to start in two weeks from Monday 17 August.  It will be the same chemotherapies as last year.  There will be three days of treatment every two weeks.

Some very good news is that we can plan for activities in between treatments and sometimes have a gap of three weeks instead of two between treatments.  This means that we can travel to near Mudgee with our small group, ESFNG (Every Second Friday Night Group) from Monday to Thursday next week; to Port Stephens in early September; to New Zealand with one of our sons and his family in early October; and I can visit Uganda for two weeks in late October/early November.

This is very good news and I have more choices and freedom than I expected.

I have been fairly busy since I issued The BezCan Project’s second newsletter for the year that shared the good news of the Church service on Sunday 26 July.  My diary since then has been:
  • Monday 27 July – afternoon meeting at Bezallel School to look at accounting records; doing some other BezCan work; and saying goodbye to some people who called by.
  • Tuesday 28 – early morning farewells at Bezallel and Canaan Schools.  Wilber (head teacher at Canaan), Rebecca (Wilber’s wife), Beatrice (head teacher at Bezallel) and I travelling by car to Banana Village, Entebbe.  We discussed various things in the car, at lunch at Good African Café (Kampala) and, finally, at Banana Village.
  • Wednesday 29 – quiet morning at Banana Village after a great sleep.  Car took me to Entebbe Airport, the start of my journey home.  (I upgraded to business class so that I could sleep flat on the long haul from Abu Dhabi to Sydney.)
  • Arrived home 7 pm Thursday night feeling pretty good.  Barbara and I went to nearby Pizza Da Noi for a meal where I talked and talked about my incredible Ugandan experience from when Barbara left Uganda.  Slept well that night.
  • Friday 31 – caught up on things.
  • Saturday 1 August – breakfast at Café Lattetude in Penrith with Lesley and Steve (members of BezCan governance group) to celebrate his upcoming birthday.  Back to their place to talk about The BezCan Project and show them the 10 minute video of the fabulous mealtime the previous Sunday in Kamuli.  Afternoon quick visit to Katharine and Phil’s (alos members of the governance group) to plan for Sunday party.
  • Sunday 2 – Katharine’ birthday lunch with her family and friends.  Wonderful time where I spoke about The BezCan Project.  Instead of gifts, people were asked to donate to The BezCan Project: $1,500 was received.  Sunday night had dinner with family.
  • Monday 3 – two walks to the Chris O’Brien Lifehouse: blood test at 8 am and back at 10.15 for meeting with Dr Kate.  Lunch with friend Cameron where I again shared my Ugandan experience.  This evening another part of the family is coming for dinner.

I have BezCan work to do this week as well as more social activities and, of course, the Thursday afternoon appointment with the urologist.  I will write another DHC Hope blog entry after that.


My three and a half weeks in Kamuli were so worthwhile and fruitful.  I feel that The BezCan Project can work successfully with Bezallel and Canaan Schools whether or not I remain alive.  I am finding my dying years are my living years!

Bezallel school children sang me a 'farewell' song.  Chairman Ruth gave a
short speech, I responded and Aidah led a passionate prayer.
The children waving a goodbye; the choir sang a song about writing a
letter once I am 'backa' home; a student and a teacher prayed and
I gave a short farewell speech.
Wilber, Beatrice, Rebecca and I at our final meeting at Banana Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment