05 July 2015

Another Health Issue – Kidneys

Friday morning, I was still assimilating the unpleasant news of my increasing liver cancer, when my oncologist, Dr Kate rang to advise a potential problem with my right kidney.  My CT scan report included information that a lymph node in my middle area is around 1 cm in size and starting to press on the tube emptying from my right kidney.  She asked me if I am feeling any pain toward my back, which I am not.

The upshot is that I now have an appointment on 6 August with a urologist.  I will probably need a stent inserted.  This will be a day surgery job under anaesthetic.

We agreed that I was still OK to leave for Uganda tonight.  I can come home earlier if needs be.
I confess that I have felt quite down with this news added.  Barbara and I went out for pizza on Friday night.  Yesterday (Saturday) I was feeling pains in my middle area – real or psychological?  Our friends Lesley and Steve came for dinner.  It was good to be able share my health news and receive some sympathetic love and care.

Today I awoke feeling better.  Today I wrote a letter to one of the Schools in Uganda.  I had procrastinated all week but now it is issued.  Shortly friends David and Lena are coming for afternoon tea.  They are doing some great things in India.  Being able to think about outward-looking matters is good.

Yes, there is some risk in my still going to Uganda as the cancer will continue to grow.  Yes, sadly, I am aware I will probably not be able to visit Uganda again this year.  I am thinking that nearly one thousand lives directly benefiting from this trip are readily worth more than one life that is continuing to deteriorate.

I finish with some happy photos from our granddaughter’s second birthday party held yesterday morning.







No comments:

Post a Comment