16 March 2015

Fourth Anniversary Blog Entry

Four years ago this month I still clearly remember stepping on to Missenden Road in front of the RPA Hospital.  Alison and I had met with oncologist, Prof Lisa Horvath, and learned the seriousness of my condition.  I remember being so grateful that my fellow Australians were supporting my treatment.  Like all civilised first world countries, we have good health care systems that ensure all citizens and permanent residents receive proper health care.

Today, Barbara and I saw oncologist Dr Kate Mahon and her registrar at the Chris O’Brien Lifehouse.  This state of the art large facility opened late 2013.  After receiving good news we enjoyed a caffé latté in the Lifehouse Café.

Chris O'Brien Lifehouse on Missenden Road, Camperdown

This morning’s blood test shows my liver is functioning normally, just as in November, two months ago.  Usually there is only six weeks between visits (when I am not on chemo).  The CT scan showed that the cancer in my liver remains dormant.  However, the second polyp (discovered early 2014) near the entry to my rectum was measured as quite large but was not able to be compared with a previous measurement.  So, it may have grown or it may be stable.  Additionally, a lymph node on the upper left side of my body is 11mm, which is 1mm above the 10mm size of potential concern.  However, both Dr Kate and the registrar think the evidence shows the cancer remains dormant.

Today I feel like I am coming out of the fog.  I have suffered from jet lag and increased discharge from my rectum.  Apparently jet lag and altitude can cause increased discharge for people such as me who have a colostomy bag.  Since I have been back, I have had to sit on the toilet the majority of my visits.  There are signs this is easing off.  My next appointment with Dr Kate is on Monday 13 April.  If I am still having undue discharge, we will look at radiology to shrink the potentially problematic polyp at the top of the rectum.  Meanwhile, I can ask for an earlier appointment if I remain distressed.

Limited Life Span

Four years ago the prognosis was life of one to five years.  The aim of the chemotherapy was to give me a good quality of life.  Four years on and I am unbelievably well.  It was a tough time in the first half of last year.  Since the end of last year my energy levels have returned.  This renewed energy meant that my three weeks in Uganda were three of the busiest weeks of my life.

My Ugandan Blessing

In January I wrote a 15 page document called Future 3 for The BezCan Project Governance Group.  This proved to be the blueprint for my February/March trip.  I was able to organise meetings before I left Australia, one of which was conducted in Jinja on the way from Entebbe Airport to Kamuli.  On all but three days I attended at least two meetings.  We planned for the future.

At Canaan School we arranged and paid for the purchase of five more parcels of land that will form the nursery campus.  We began planning for the building of the new school between July 2015 and December 2016.

At Bezallel I developed the infrastructure needed now plan and drafted ideas for an infrastructure master plan on which we hope to reach agreement by 30 November 2015.  The BezCan Project is currently funding a number of items under the infrastructure needed now plan.

Both schools are cooperating in researching quality Ugandan building techniques and materials so as to construct buildings that will last at least 50 years.  They are also cooperating in joint training that includes other primary schools in Kamuli.

I achieved everything I hoped and more.  I am indebted to the cooperation and love extended to me by Bezallel and Canaan Schools.  I thank each School’s Board for their approval and endorsement of what is being planned.

More than a hobby!

For years Barbara has encouraged me to find a hobby.  Instead I have founded The BezCan Project in Kamuli, Uganda.  This is much better than a hobby as lives, including mine, are being transformed – over 850 students and 50 staff!  My experience on this trip was so all-encompassing that on my return home I emailed the following to my friends of forty years who live in Kamuli.

“Thank you for being Barbara and my friends of forty years.  Thank you for inviting me to visit you in Kamuli.  Thank you for holding on to our friendship through those awkward times during my 2013 visits.  Thank you for introducing me to Bezallel and Canaan Schools.  Thank you for introducing me to Kamuli locals who are now my friends too.  Thank you for transforming my life and its meaning.  You have made what might have been my night years, my sunshine years.”


I am still working out how to share my February/March experience and decisions in BezCan newsletters.  Meanwhile, you can have a sneak preview in these photos.

Bezallel Head Teacher, Beatrice (far right) and I visiting Justine and
Deo at the Mixed Happy Hour Primary School they started almost
20 years ago.  Today over 1000 children attend, 450 are boarders.
There are some amazing Ugandans who have a sense
of service to their community.

I am with Ruth, Chairman of the Bezallel School Management Committee
and Moses the Town Engineer.  Beatrice took the photo.  The four of us met
numerous times during my visit to plan 'infrastructure needed now' matters.

I am with Moses (Chairman) and Wilber (Head Teacher) as we are about
to leave the primary campus site for the new Canaan School. 

On the last Saturday of my visit, I attended a combined meeting of Canaan
School's Board, Management Committee, Parents and Teachers Association
and staff to present, with Wilber and Moses, the plans for the new school.
We are meeting in the staff room, in the cool shade of a mango tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment