25 March 2015

Flexible Sigmoidoscopy

Yes, the title is correct!  This morning I had a flexi sigmoidoscopy.  Why?

This follows on from my visit with oncologist, Dr Kate Mahon on Monday 16 March.  I mentioned my discomfort with ‘jetsam and flotsam’ coming from my back passage.  Monday 23 March, one week later, it was continuing apace.  So, I rang my registrar at the Chris O’Brien Lifehouse and things accelerated from there.

By Monday night I had been to my local GP and had a referral to Prof Dr Chris Young.  He was the surgeon who performed my stoma operation in February 2014.  His PA Jessie first offered 22 April but I asked for an earlier date.  She offered today, Wednesday, 25 March.  I said ‘yes’!  I emailed scanned copies of required forms to the Chris O’Brien Lifehouse where the flexi sigmoidoscopy was to be performed.  (At 6.15 pm friends with whom I was supposed to be having dinner in the city rang – ‘where was I?’ – I had forgotten due to all my business – I caught a taxi arriving at 6.40 pm, 40 minutes late!)

Tuesday morning the Lifehouse emailed some more forms.  In the afternoon they contacted me and told me to fast and not drink liquids from midnight.  Early evening, Gerald the anaesthetist phoned for ‘sleeping’ arrangements.

Wednesday, Barbara and I walked to the Lifehouse, arriving at the required time of 7.00 am.  Every person and every stage of the process was perfection personified.  At the end I gave 10 out of 10 on the feedback form.  11.00 am we had coffee in the Lifehouse Café and Barbara drove me home.
Dr Chris spoke to me before and after the rectum inspection.  He said there was a lot of waste product from the two cancerous tumours.  One is situated just above the upper rectum and the other in the lower rectum.  I need radiation to shrink their size.

So, now I am waiting for Chris’s PA Jessie to ring me and arrange an appointment with Dr Sue Carroll.  At the lightning speed achieved so far this week, I am hoping to see Dr Sue tomorrow or Friday.

I have a feeling that dealing with these troublesome tumours might elongate the time before the cancer in the liver starts growing again.

Since being back in Australia, I have had four BezCan related meetings; with The BezCan Project Governance Group reviewed and agreed a constitution for an Australian registered charity; and been sending and receiving emails from Uganda.  I want to be able to return with Barbara to Kamuli, Uganda in July and then again myself in November.  Barbara and I are aiming to visit family in America from mid May to early June.  Two of our children and their families will also be there for five days at the end of the May.

Hence, I want to be OK health-wise.  The ‘jetsam and flotsam’ increased as a result of the high altitude and jet lag on my return trip from Uganda.  I want this problem ‘zapped’ from my event schedule when visiting the US and Uganda next.  Maybe I am being unrealistic.  However, I am very focussed on ensuring that by the end of July that The BezCan Project is so established with assisting Canaan and Bezallel Schools that it will continue even if I die in August.


My February/March visit to Kamuli was so amazing that it is beyond my words to describe well.  Everything I aimed to achieve and more was accomplished.  I am honoured to work with such wonderful friends at Bezallel and Canaan Schools.  I aim to write and release a BezCan newsletter by early April.

No comments:

Post a Comment