30 March 2014

Downs and Ups!

So far, this has been one of the most physically difficult years of my life!  This week there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.

Downs and Ups

DOWNS:
  • Severe diarrhoea being late onset reaction to my first round of chemotherapy (Wednesday March 19 to Friday March 21).  Bah Bah Black Sheep had three bags full.  I had 9 colostomy bags full on Wednesday, 6 on Thursday and 4 on Friday morning.  (I am very glad I am using colostomy bags that can be emptied, otherwise I would have had to put on a new bag each time.)  Late Friday morning I was at Emergency, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital as advised by Dr Lisa.  My situation could have been life threatening but the two doctors told me how well I looked.  I did not feel well!  The Emergency service was excellent.
  • With a colostomy bag I expected sitting on the toilet to be a thing of the past but it is not.  I have discharge from the two cancerous polyps still in my rectum!
  • I was probably at my lowest point last weekend (March 22 and 23).  I felt very lethargic and listless.  I slept Saturday afternoon with the aim of getting to Phil’s 60th birthday party but by 6 pm I just could not – too hard to face talking with people.  In fact it is some time since I have been out at night.  Sunday I walked around the block, talked a neighbour explaining how I found the walk hard.
UPS
  • Barbara and I enjoyed an uplifting visit from Alison and Chris – two long time friends, both doctors – they provided useful insights, humour and non-judgmental love (Monday 17 March).
  • I awoke Monday morning March 24 feeling more normal.  Barbara and I saw Dr Lisa who told us that my liver function had improved from the first round of chemotherapy – amazing, wonderful!  I comfortably walked to and from the hospital twice – first for blood test then to see Dr Lisa.  (What a change from the day before.)
  • Have felt pretty good through this second round of chemotherapy.  I have more spark, even humming tunes some of the time.  Maybe I have turned a corner?

Dr Lisa said I had done a good job.  I said I cannot do anything but the chemo had done the work.  You will be glad to know that my experience at the chemotherapy day clinic was better this time.  On Monday Barbara and I met with Sally, a patient liaison person to give our feedback, which was well received.  Only had to wait an hour on Tuesday and was served straight away on Thursday.  Both nurses were excellent.

Drugs

OFF
  • Since my operation over five weeks ago I have been taking Panadol and Endone (morphine related).  I was taking Endone each night and sometimes during the day.  I would take two Panadol and an Endone at 7pm and enjoy the euphoric feeling around 8pm.  It settled me for the night.  I was becoming concerned that I needed it regularly but last week the need disappeared.  I stopped taking them Tuesday March 18.
ON
  • Now I am taking four different drugs to deal with diarrhoea and nausea – Nexium and a probiotic tablet daily and anti nausea and anti diarrhoea tablets as needed.
  • My three chemotherapies are – Irinotecan, Leucovorin and Fluorouracil.
Food

Indirectly and directly a number of you commented on my eating ham and cheese croissants and toasted sandwiches.  I have found my food intake has changed significantly this year.  Usually I am an egg man for breakfast but now I am having muesli with fruit and yoghurt.  I am off coffee and into caramel milkshakes – this is back to my childhood when milkshakes cost ten cents not $5.  Yesterday, for the first time for a while, I enjoyed some soft cheese.  Maybe I am returning to normal?

Family

Our family celebrated one of our on Saturday March 29, here at Club 55.  So, I this update finishes with family photos for your enjoyment!


Family and friends
Will's pizza oven, where the excellent pizzas were cooked!

Grandma and Granddad with with our granddaughters

The delicious ice cream birthday cake

No comments:

Post a Comment