22 August 2011

Chemo Round 11 Deferred One Week

Today, Monday 22 August, I arrived at the hospital before 7.30 am for my blood test.  Had a coffee at one of the hospital cafés and then checked in.  Dr Lisa Horvath saw me early at 9.15 and advised that due to my lower than desirable blood platelets count that she wanted to defer my chemo for a week.  Appointments for this deferral and two future treatments were rearranged.  Dr Lisa also advised that with the cumulative effects of the chemo that she doubted we will go on to 16 treatments.  Thirteen treatments are now booked with the last one being 12 to 14 October.  I have booked a CT scan for Tuesday 11 October.

The cumulative effect that is of concern is that I have a continuing level of numbness in my fingers.  I still have feeling in the fingertips.  With another week before the next chemo, hopefully, the numbness level will reduce.

Overall Dr Lisa reinforced that I am doing very well.  The blood tests show my liver function is very good and I have had limited adverse reactions to the chemotherapy.

This is the first time that I have not been able to have the chemo.  I felt disappointed that things were out of my control.  Fortunately, I was not booked up for early next week but I have been booking seminars and travel based on chemo every second week.  This means that after my deferred treatment next week, the next appointment will be a further three weeks and the likely final treatment a further three weeks, two days.  (I then move on to chemo maintenance treatment.)

Barbara came to the hospital aiming to attend my appointment but she missed out because my appointment was held early.  I did not know she was coming.  We walked to the nearby Alfred Medical Imaging and walked home surprising our daughter.  We asked her what the low blood platelets meant.  The platelets are small bits in the blood that assist with clotting.  When they are low the clotting function is reduced, meaning that if I cut myself it would take longer for the blood to clot or it might not clot.  Glad she has so much medical knowledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment