17 April 2011

Travelling Well

Tomorrow is Chemo Round 2.  In the eleven days between chemo rounds I feel like I have improved.  I feel like the chemo is already reducing the cancer.  I am feeling more normal each day and have slept less during the days.  Friday and Saturday I did have afternoon naps, as we were with friends both nights and I wanted to stay up later.

I have found that it is salt and vinegar potato crisps that work best.  Plain ones not so well.  So, I am continuing to eat one small packet a day.  Our friend, Lynne who volunteers at the Sydney Cancer Centre on Tuesdays mentioned that a number of the chemo patients have their packets of salted chips.  Our friend, Lee, whose brother is dying from severe cancer, said he likes to eat salt and vinegar chips.  Interesting, isn’t it?

We have enjoined companionship with family and friends during these eleven days.  Pat visited for lunch on Monday bringing sunshine through our door with bright yellow roses and her wonderful ‘up’ approach to life.  Monday night we had family dinner with Al, Pete and Will. 

Bill came for morning tea and a chat on Tuesday morning.  We have children around the same age and have known each other since the mid 1980s when I started writing a Securities Institute subject. 

Wednesday late morning our accountant Andrew and Nicole a tax lawyer came to discuss an appropriate strategy for running our self-managed superannuation (pension) fund.  Barbara and I are very happy with the way to move forward with our fund.  Then we went out to lunch with our neighbours Joy and Graeme for lunch at the Persian Room, Harris Street, Pyrmont where we enjoyed exquisite Iranian food.  Toward the end of lunch Barbara noticed Chris riding his bicycle up Harris Street, I raced out, called his name loudly and he dropped in and chatted with us for a few minutes. 

Thursday lunch was spent at Phil and Katharine’s place.  Friday I spent an hour and a half in some financial coaching and completed the financial part of a case study for the Australian Institute of Company Directors that I worked on throughout the week.  Friday night we spent a wonderful evening at ESFNG (Every Second Friday Night Group), a small group of friends emanating from Petersham Baptist Church.  It was so good being among loving and caring friends. 

Saturday we were back at Katharine and Phil’s for lunch and to enjoy photos from Carolyn and Judy’s recent five week holiday in South America.  I had some white wine and found that my body did not like it.  I finally settled down after eating the steamed plums and yoghurt for desert about an hour later.  I have found that alcohol, coffee, rockmelon and avocado are too strong.

Saturday night Lee and Michael came for dinner and we were mesmerised by Lee telling the story of journeying with her brother as he living with terminal cancer.  His faith, love of his family, approach to life and approach to his looming death is amazing and inspirational. 

Today my friend John dropped in for morning tea and at night our family celebrated our youngest's 26th birthday dinner.  We enjoyed delicious calzones and a scrumptious chocolate birthday cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment