31 March 2011

DHC Update 1

This was the email I sent in response to all the emails and phone calls I received after sending my initial letter.

Dear family and friends

On Monday (29 March) my oncologist, Dr Lisa Horvath, phoned to advise that my blood samples taken on Friday showed that my liver was not working as well as they would like.  So, the South Australia holiday has been cancelled and my first chemotherapy treatment is on Monday 4 April with the second one on Monday 18 April.

Since I sent out my email and letter I have received dozens of emails, some phone calls and some letters.  I have been blessed by what you have told me about how you think of me and what I mean to you.  My mind and heart are filled with all these thoughts which I know will help me as I begin my treatment.  From Christian and other faith perspectives and humanist approaches you have told me that you are praying for me, praying for a miracle, encouraging me to think positively – thank you for your love, care and action.  You have said you would do anything you could to help.  I can assure you that sending me your messages, telling me you love me and interceding for me has provided enormous practical help.

This Tuesday morning (Australian time) around 7.00 to 8.00 am I had a strong sense of well-being, of being cared for and prayed for.  I do not know how rational this thinking was but it felt good.

I am considering setting up a blog as suggested by some of you.  I will let you know what I decide.  It does have the advantage that people can choose to look when they want rather than receive emails from time to time.

Regards

David

No comments:

Post a Comment