18 May 2016

Some Improvement

Monday morning 16 May, Barbara and I met with my oncologist, Dr Kate Mahon and Linda, the nurse who is temporarily looking after my drug trial.

Dr Kate explained that today’s blood test shows that both my kidney and liver functions have improved a little.  The kidney function, while being OK, had not improved for some time.  This improvement indicates the decision not to have a new stent inserted is working.

We discussed the side effects I am experiencing from the trial drug.  I still have a rash on my forehead and scalp but it has reduced.  Meanwhile, my adverse reaction to sunlight has worsened.  Sunday we had a family picnic at nearby Bicentennial Park.  Although I was sitting under a tree, sheltered from the sun, my face reddened and the back of my hands became splotchy.  It was not itchy.  The redness did not fade away until a few hours after I returned home.  All my life I have loved being in the sun.  Since the beginning of this year, while still on chemotherapy, I have felt debilitated from being in direct sunlight for any length of time.  I greatly miss being able to lie in the sun!

My voice was affected by all the coughing during a virus infection a month or two ago.  I find it difficult to speak too much.  Sometimes it is worse than other times.  I think there is some improvement.  I hope my voice returns to normal soon.

My next six weekly CT scan will be done before my next appointment with Dr Kate in three weeks time.  We will be able to see how the experimental drug is affecting the cancer in the liver.  If it is working well, then the CT scan should show the cancers have not grown over the six weeks between CT scans.

Meanwhile, I continue to enjoy a pretty active life: over recent weeks, The BezCan Project has taken about 3 hours a day Mondays to Friday with continuing contact with Bezallel and Canaan Schools and working towards tax deductibility through an Australian NGO – nearly completed now; family gatherings; some travel and various social engagements.  You are welcome to arrange get togethers.  I am booking my eighth visit to Uganda from 19 July to 5 August.  This is exciting.  One special event will be the official opening of the new primary campus at Canaan Junior School.  The school will operate from this campus from 6 June, the beginning of term 2.


Some photos from recent activities:

Grand daughter L built this train track at our home, yesterday (Tuesday).
Barbara looks after L each Tuesday.

Selfie with the family enjoying a picnic lunch at Bicentennial Park

Our youngest grandchild loves cucumber as these three photos show!




Last Saturday our small group ESFNG met at Morrie's new home at Ettalong

Panoramic view toward Sydney northern beaches from Ettalong Beach

Walking along the Ettalong foreshore


First weekend of May we drove to Eden to visit my brother Michael
and celebrate my 66th birthday and Mothers' Day

Michael hosted us a Mothers' Day and birthday lunch in Merimbula


No comments:

Post a Comment