20 October 2015

My Doctor More Confidant Than I

Barbara and I enjoyed a wonderful two weeks in New Zealand (I will do a second NZ blog entry soon).  However, on Wednesday last week, I did not feel so good when Barbara and I said our goodbyes to our oldest son and family after a week together at the beautiful, glorious and liveable Lake Wanaka.

Lake Wanaka as viewed from Rippon Winery on the western side of the lake

I felt as if I had heartburn or gas in my stomach that I could not get rid off.  I had a dull aching pain and took some Panadol equivalent tablets for relief.  At Friday lunch in Methvin we decided it would be best to fly home sooner.  So, through the internet I booked the Qantas early morning flight from Christchurch (instead of coming back on the Emirates late afternoon Sunday flight).  We stayed at Sudimo, the hotel right at Christchurch Airport.  We were up at 4.20 am NZ summer time (2.20 am Sydney summer time).  We arrived home about 9.00 am Sydney time and I found it good to be in my home.  I spent much of the day relaxing, including lying on my bed.  Buttons, our cat was very glad to see us and joined me on the bed.

Buttons enjoying our backyard - her favourite place to be on sunny days

Naturally I wondered if it was viable for me to fly to Uganda this coming Sunday for two weeks.  So, I prepared a list of questions for our appointment with my oncologist, Dr Kate Mahon:
  • cause of pain in abdomen – heartburn?
  • are NZ heartburn tablets OK, other medications?
  • is Uganda trip still viable?

At 10.00 am Monday 19 October, Barbara and I saw Dr Kate, who was very confident about my going to Uganda.  She told me to ‘go’!  She provided me with a scrip for various medications in case I might need them.  My blood test showed that my cancer marker is back to normal levels while the kidney and liver functions remain a little above normal.  Dr Kate thinks it is the chemo that is keeping these markers a little high.  Considering the level of chronic cancer that I have, I am in good health.  So, Uganda, here I come!

Thus, Dr Kate is more confidant than I am.  Barbara and I are very grateful to have Dr Kate as my oncologist.  She supports a positive and outward focus in my life.  Great to be in synch!

No comments:

Post a Comment