31 October 2013

Recharging the Batteries

This is a bare and personal blog entry.  So skip it if you do not want know about more personal matters.

Last Thursday 24 October I arrived home from Uganda at 10.00 pm, glad to be home, quickly passing through customs and greeted by Barbara.  Friday morning I caught up on snail and emails.  Friday night we went to ESFNG small group at Judith's.  I have not experienced pain but I have experienced discomfort.  It has been one of the more difficult weeks of recent years.  I think it is due to a combination of tiredness, the bowel cancer, malaria tablets and deciding to try Metamucil.  I took the Metamucil tablets with me to Uganda but decided as I was feeling OK I would not begin using them there.  I am very glad I did not.  I took three Saturday morning and I was off to the toilet frequently that and the next day and every other day since.  Everything was interlinked in the personal waste disposal functions.

So, it was hard on the weekend spending time with friends and family.


Sunday morning I took Barbara to the airport for her week with Colleen and her family in New Zealand.  Meanwhile I saw quite lot of my family, although sometimes I felt quite uncomfortable.


Monday and Wednesday I facilitated the Company Directors Course financial modules in the city and, thankfully, I performed well and was OK.  I am very glad the Tuesday course was cancelled as I do not think I could have coped.  This morning I had a client meeting at Company Directors.

During this last week I was sometimes sleeping well and sometimes not, catching up during the day – a combination of Ugandan tiredness, jet lag and bodily miss-functions.  My way of recharging my batteries is lying naked in the sun.  I could not do this in Uganda and was looking forward to being home.  Friday I had a chance but the next opportunity was today.  My brother says all the vitamin D fights the cancer.  I do not know if this is the case but I do know I feel I am in heaven when I am in the sun.  If I lived in pagan times I would have been a sun worshipper.  I know my pleasure goes against all the sun advice but it feels like it heals my mind and body.  Additionally, I enjoyed being in a peaceful, beautiful backyard.  Yards are not so ordered and beautiful in Uganda.


I am glad that I can look forward to recharging the batteries over coming days, subject to the weather.  I have a quiet November planned with some client work and Ugandan matters to handle.  My next appointment with Dr Lisa is Wednesday 27 November and I will be talking about this week with her.

Dreams to Reality Tonight

Tonight I am going out to hear a young friend perform in a jazz band.  While it would be good to be lazing in front of the TV like I have done when I can during the last week, I am glad to be able to see him following his life dream – a young talented jazz musician wanting to make his mark.


In Australia there is so much opportunity to make your dreams reality compared with growing up in Uganda.  I hope to release my BezCan Project Report early next week and you will see how we are giving some children a better start in life.


Brendon (at right) performing his solo in one of the many
fantastic pieces performed by the Generations Big Band

DHC with Brendon's family

No comments:

Post a Comment