10 July 2011

On Being With People

In the initial part of the eleven days between chemo rounds I was especially productive from the Friday to the Sunday: updating a case study for the financial modules of the International Company Directors Course and doing some financial year end work for our business company and other matters.  But during this time, again for me, the value of being with other people struck home.  So that is what I am concentrating on.

Friday 1 July – late morning coffee with my daughter-in-law at Pain de Sucre, catching up on things – a spontaneous idea when seeing her at her computer while I was taking a break from my productive work.  Enjoying dinner at La Ricetta Italian Restaurant, which my daughter arranged to check it out for a dinner venue for her university colleagues.  The food was scrumptious and the company sublime being our family.

Saturday – coffee with my daughter-in-law lead to breakfast with my son at Naggy’s Cafe catching up on things.

Sunday – Katharine came round to discuss plans for the three of us joining Heron Airlines on a four day flying tour to Lake Eyre in September.  That evening we enjoyed dinner at our accountant Peter and Reyne’s place with one of their sons, daughter-in-law and granddaughter.

Monday – lunch with my daughter catching up on things, at the Grand Stand Sports Bar and Function Centre.

Tuesday – Harvey and Gabriella joined Barbara and I for lunch at our place.  They are longstanding friends from Petersham Baptist Church.  We talked of Hungary, Gabriella's home country and Budapest, which Barbara and I enjoyed so much last year on our European trip.

Wednesday afternoon – afternoon coffee with Katharine for her first cryptic crossword training lesson.

Thursday morning – Barbara and I went to a business meeting in Crows Nest.  I then enjoyed lunch at Barramundi Cafe in the city with Australian Institute of Company Directors National Office friends.

Friday late morning – cryptic crossword training lesson 2 with Katharine at Astor Espresso Cafe on Glebe Point Road.  Unexpectedly, around 1.30, Tim, Michelle, Natasha and Caleb dropped in to see how I am.  They were in town for one week of the school holidays and I am very glad they called in.  At night ESFNG came to our home for dinner and sharing.  Barbara had arranged the devotion to be sharing your favourite hymn.

Saturday – Lesley and Stephen came to our place for lunch and dinner.  In the afternoon we walked around to the Blackwattle Blackwattle Cafe at Bellevue House on the harbour where we met Katharine for afternoon coffee.  Back at our place, we discussed producing a quilt for our dining room wall.  Lesley is wonderfully artistic with her quilting.  Then it was dinner time!

Sunday – lunch with one of my cousins, his wife and her mother at their place.  Once back home, I was intending to go straight upstairs and update my blog.  But one of my sons was getting out the cheese and people were interested in afternoon tea.  So, the family sat around the dining room table enjoying late afternoon tea together.  Three of us played Scrabble and now I am updating the blog listening to Jazz on ABC FM Radio.

And so another eleven days between chemo rounds has passed.  I have enjoyed being with some of you, my family and friends in different places, doing different things and talking.  I have appreciated all of your love and care.  Thank you for spending time with me and letting me spend time with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment