13 July 2011

Chemo Round 8

Last week and continuing this week I have a heavy cold that adds to coping with the chemo.  Having so many people in our home, I caught a cold.  At the doctor’s I got a script for antibiotics as the doctor thought I had a chest infection.  I also got some cough mixture.  These have helped but if I do not improve further, I will be back to the doctor tomorrow.

Last week, I seemed to lose the queasy feeling around Tuesday.  Previously, it has been the last few days before the next round of chemo that I have had none or little queasiness.  So, to not feel queasy for almost a week has been a real blessing.  Again I am aware of the impact of psychological feelings.  I felt queasy walking to the hospital on Monday.  This is not logical as the chemo did not start until late, after 1 pm.

I saw Dr Lisa around 11 am.  She was very pleased with my progress as indicated by the quality of the blood results.  I am having another CT scan this Friday and we will see how far I have progressed at round 9 of the chemo.  I asked Dr Lisa how many treatments I am scheduled – 12 or 13 and the answer is 12.  However, if all is going well and my reactions to chemo remain minimal she will go to 16.  Ugh!  I thought I was 2/3 of the way through but if it is 16 it is only half way through!  This I find a bit hard to contemplate, however, I know I will be alright if it does go to 16.

By the end of the afternoon, I was wishing to be home and not feeling like taking out the garbage.  I hoped that Barbara would take it out.  I arrived home after 6 pm and Barbara had taken it out.  I gave her a huge hug.  Soon, I had some soup that tasted delicious.  I am finding that I prefer to eat food before the chemo starts and then again when I am on the chemo bottle.  In the five hours of the first two chemos, I drink water and tea, eat a small packet of the Smiths Crisps and some sweet biscuits.  I told Barbara and my daughter about the potential 16 rounds of chemo and that I hoped my cancer would be cleared by the 12th round.  My daughter gave me a knowing look – signally this was unlikely – but it would be wonderful!

Another soup later in the evening followed by a tub of yoghurt of which Muggles gets the lid with an extra dollop and the cat and I were happy.  Two Law and Order episodes, ad free and back to back and I fell into a good sleep from around 10.30 pm.  Around 2 pm I awoke and had a coughing fit.  Barbara was up like a shot, concerned I might be sick but it was just congestion from my cold.  After a while I settled down and slept well until around 8 am.

Tuesday passed quietly.  Katharine’s third cryptic crossword training took place late morning at her place.

Wednesday I have felt quite queasy as the third day and tomorrow are usually the queasiest.  Additionally, the glorious sunny winter days have turned to grey and cold.  Barbara and I went out to Pain de Sucre for lunch.  Now, I am now chemo bottle free for 11 days and am rugged up, with the heater on, listening to Abba singing ‘Chiquitita’ (I have all of their 9 CDs and have been listening to them lately) while I am seated at the computer typing this blog entry.

1 comment:

  1. David. Wonderful to catch up on yor progress and that it all seems to as well as it might. You have certainly been busy with friends and family which is a great joy to hear. Might I suggest the queasiness might be fluctuating blood pressure. I found this to be the case and could not pick a pattern. It just dropped unexpectedly but at logical times- after standing up or when walking. Do you have a monitor at home?

    I expect to up your way and shall ring ahead of time to see if our timing works. Love to you and Barbara. We both think of you often. Strangely, I have developed a habit of thinking about you each morning when I clean my teeth! Go figure?

    ReplyDelete