17 June 2011

Chemo Round 6


I write this blog entry in a more sombre mood.  I have found this round of chemotherapy the hardest since the first round, not that it was really different from rounds 2 to 5.  The problem has been my mental attitude.  I have not felt as optimistic and positive as usual.  When I think of why this might be so, I think our two-day drive on Sunday and Monday from the Sunshine Coast to home was part of it.  I drove for almost three hours on the Sunday through very heavy rain from south of Ballina to Bowraville.  I drove again on the Monday morning but at least there was not much rain.  So, I think this tired me.

It is interesting to be subject to a slump in feeling when there is no logical reason this should be so.  Indeed, on Tuesday, I asked Dr Lisa about the cancer in my lymph nodes and bowel (which Barbara and I forgot to ask when we learned of the liver improvement).  The cancer in the lymph nodes has reduced about 30% as well.  The situation in the bowel is harder to tell but Dr Lisa thought the signs are positive because of the improvement in the liver and lymph nodes and no bleeding from the bowel since just after the first round of chemo.


Indeed there is cause for optimism as I am about halfway through my treatments – only another six or seven to go!


I am listening to American Christian country music as I write this with kookaburras cackling outside.  The kookaburras have been very vocal this morning.  I think they are celebrating a beautiful sunny day after all the rain we have experienced this week – an interesting juxtaposition of sounds.

Today I am having lunch with friends from my days as secretary of BRI Australia.  I am looking forward to spending time with them as it is a couple of years since I have seen them.  As it is Friday, Barbara is volunteering at the Petersham Opportunity Shop, associated with Petersham Baptist Church.

This picture shows the patchwork glazed vase that our daughter made for Barbara at her pottery class and gave to Barbara last night.  The vase sits on a desk made by my Dad more than 50 years ago together with the two back jugs from Barbara's Uncle Al and the leaves sent to me by a friend, Michelle, when she heard of my situation.  So a special desk is holding special things.

No comments:

Post a Comment