26 April 2016

Too Early To Tell

Today, Barbara and I Met with Doctors Adrian and Kate and nurse Linda, the nurse now in charge of my experimental treatment.  The CT scan I had last Thursday shows that most of the cancers being measured in my liver have grown slightly.  I have now been on the experimental drug, called BGB-283 Trial, for six weeks, about two thirds of the time since the previous CT scan.  This means it is too early to tell if the new drug is working.

It is a good sign that the cancers have only grown a little.  Perhaps all the growth occurred before I started on the drug.  On the other hand it might be the ‘calm before the storm’ and the cancers may grow significantly.

Another encouraging sign is that the bumps on my forehead and scalp have increased.  Although not very visible I am aware of this.  This is a side effect of the drug.  One observation with this drug is that the greater the skin eruption, the more likely the drug is working.

Therefore, we have to await the next CT scan and its comparison with today’s scan to really find out whether or not the experimental drug is working, that is, stopping the cancers growing.

The CT scan also shows that the tube between my left kidney and bladder is slightly blocked again.  Today’s blood test shows my kidneys continue to work the same as when the stent was inserted and before then.  The kidney function will continue to be monitored and if things continue like this, I will remain stent free.  It seems my right kidney is making up for the functional problems of the left kidney.  It seems the left kidney is working OK but is processing more slowly than normal.

I continue to feel much better after taking the antibiotics for fifteen days.  However, my cough has returned to a degree.  The doctors suggest I again take two puffs morning and night of Symbicort® 200, my asthma treatment and use Ventolin when I have a coughing fit.  This situation will continue to be monitored too!


I am so glad I can now easily walk to the Chris O’Brien Lifehouse and other places near home.  Today’s blood test shows that my liver continues to function normally, which is a very critical factor and key reason for me continuing to be able to live such a positive life.

No comments:

Post a Comment