02 March 2016

Cancer Growing

With one of our daughters-in-law, Barbara and I met with Dr Kate Mahon, my oncologist on Monday 29 February.  I had been wondering if the cancer was growing again and the CT scan confirms that it is.  A non-calcified part of one of the original lesions in the liver has grown one centimetre since the previous CT scan.  Dr Kate outlined several choices.  The two fundamental choices are:

I have decided to join the trial, which I will begin with an appointment with Dr Kate next Monday, 7 March.  Because I have the B-RAF inhibitor (about 8 to 10% of cancer patients do), this treatment offers the opportunity of a chance to switch it off.  Dr Kate has another patient with this inhibitor who did not respond to chemo.  However, this B-RAF inhibitor drug has halted the growth of her cancer for the last six months.

This treatment will:
  • involve five weekly Monday appointments, a two week break, then two more weekly appointments then ongoing three weekly appointments with Dr Kate
  • taking the inhibitor tablet daily
  • having a CT scan every six weeks

for as long as the treatment is effective and provided I do not have serious side effects.  There is a low risk of serious side effects with the main one being acne like rash on the face.

Advance Care Request Forms Lodged

I signed four originals of my advanced care request with Barbara witnessing it and Dr Kate approving it.  Dr Kate will lodge an original with each of the Chris O'Brien Lifehouse and Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.  I gave one to my GP when I saw her on Tuesday afternoon and I have kept the fourth original.  The advanced care request includes wanting palliative care treatment at home.

Keeping BezCan Going

I am glad that I have not booked any trips until June.  Certainly it is good that I did not book a Uganda trip in April.  The three weekly visits with Dr Kate will start during May or June.  So we have the challenge of how to operate The BezCan Project effectively and try to move it forward.
While our governance group is very effective, we do not have strong large fund raising skills.  There is a strong likelihood that we can obtain tax deductibility in Australia through another existing Australian organsiation.  Unfortunately, I am finding it harder to stay on top of things and have not made the application yet.

I would love that The BezCan Project can finance the completion of Canaan Junior School’s primary campus: two classroom blocks (with offices), the multipurpose hall and kitchen.  My estimate is that it will require A$300,000/US$210,000 to A$400,000/US$285,000.  Do you have fund raising capability?  Do you know someone who does who could be interested in helping The BezCan Project?  Are you interested in providing some generous funding?  Please contact me so we can explore such opportunities.

A Fortunate Life

Overall, I have been fortunate that I have responded so well to chemotherapy.  Five years ago this March my life expectancy was one to five years.  I was also told that chemotherapy would only be effective for 3 or 4 cycles.  Mine was effective for almost three cycles.  Now it is the success of the B-RAF Inhibitor BGB-283 that is crucial.

And In The End

Now my mind is also thinking about my dying.  I still hope that I might live to the end of 2017 when The BezCan Project is scheduled to finish.  There is now a likelihood I will not feel up to overseas travel.  I feel I might die before the end of this year.  I do not know if this will be so but this is how I feel.

What I do know is that when I am feeling low, like I have been the last few weeks, then I find it harder to be with people.  What this means is that I expect that I will not want to be seeing visitors when I am in my terminal decline.  My family will be supporting me at this time.

This means that now is your opportunity for arranging visits (to us or we to you).  I would love to see people while I am still feeling OK.  I warmly invite you contact me to arrange a visit with me or with Barbara and me.


Some of these statements are strong but they reflect how I feel at present.  Perhaps, I have become a member of the ‘grumpy old men’ set!  See me before I become too grumpy!

View from our accommodation at Pokolbin in the Hunter Valley
during our week their in late February
The kangaroos lazing on the grass near the lake

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these details David, we continue to pray for you and hope that the prognosis is not as bad as you expect. It's good that you have such wonderful medical and family support. I hope to see you before you get 'too grumpy' as you put it. Trevor

    ReplyDelete