22 April 2015

Half Way Through Radiation

Today I completed 12 of the 24 radiation sessions.  They are scheduled at 3.15 pm each weekday.  My energy levels are fine but I have succumbed to several typical side effects.  These cause me to spend a lot of time on the toilet.  In fact, I want to remain close to a bathroom all the time.

Each weak I see a radiation oncologist to check on my situation.  Yesterday I saw Dr Sue and her registrar Dr Sandy.  They gave me medicines to alleviate the symptoms.  I have a alkaline powder to mix with water and drink that offsets radiation’s acidic affect on my urine.  This reduces the stinging sensation.  I have been given a foam gel to inject into my rectum that reduces inflammation.  And I have been given a salve cream mixed with an anaethetising agent to relieve stinging around my anus.  These have made me much more comfortable today.

The radiation therapists that operate the large treatment machine are all very kind, friendly and professional.  They respect you as a human being and patient.  They are willing to answer questions.

The chemotherapy is a liquid contained in a bottle.  Monday before radiation I go to day therapy to have the chemo bottle attached through my portacath.  Friday I return after radiation to be ‘de-accessed’ – the attachment is removed.  Initially, my chemo appointments were not tied in with the radiation.  This was because day therapy was not informed of the reason for the chemo.  Once I let them know that the chemo supported the radiation treatments, my appointments were rescheduled.

I forgot that these things take time and usually run late.  I am now in the swing of it.  With Sydney’s severe wet and windy weather the last two days, I have been driving to my appointments rather than walking.

Yes, I have felt sorry for myself at times.  It is good to have been given medicines that have made me more comfortable.  I see patients in wheel chairs and on beds receiving radiation and realise I am in a much better situation.  I see young people needing treatment, which I find the hardest.


And this week I learned that two of my friends at Bezallel School are having very difficult times.  One is still recovering from serious injuries suffered in a motorbike accident (commonly used for public transport).  My other friend has significant kidney problems and is bedridden.  Here in Australia our medical services would be providing quality health care but there in Uganda my friend’s illness might not even be properly diagnosed.  This is yet another reminder of the great inequity that exists in our world.  I am very grateful for the quality of healthcare I receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment