11 August 2014

Off to Uganda in November

Barbara and I saw Dr Lisa Horvath this morning.  Good news – today’s blood test shows my liver is working normally.  Subject to the CT scan on 5 September, I will either continue chemotherapy, if the cancer is still reducing, or stop, if there is no reduction.  Whichever way it goes in September, Dr Lisa says I can go to Uganda in November.  Thus, I am planning for the trip (which will be subject to any problems in eastern Africa with the Ebola virus).

I mentioned to Dr Lisa that my mouth is sore, especially immediately following chemo, and I am feeling tired most of the time.  She acknowledged these are normal side effects.  They are worth it if the cancer keeps reducing.

Chris O'Brien Lifehouse cancer centre at
Royal Prince Alfred complex

Green Tarago to Red RAV4

Last Thursday we traded in our British racing green Toyota Tarago that has been a wonderful family vehicle for the last ten years and bought a 2013 current model red Toyota RAV4 Cruiser.  Why Toyota again?  They are reliable and the dealership is at the Parramatta Road corner with Ross Street.  So, it is a short drive up Ross Street for vehicle service.

At Sydney City Toyota farewelling the Tarago
Greeting our RAV4

We are planning extra trips to enjoy driving the RAV4.  Friday we are heading for Golden Beach at the southern end of the Queensland Sunshine Coast for ten days.  End of August we are going to Rylestone, in the Capertee Valley north of Lithgow to hear Mixed Blessings sing (Barbara sang with Mixed Blessings over fifteen years ago).  We think we will continue driving westwards afterwards.  And we have decided on a trip to Wilpena Pound in late September, early October.  We hope to visit my second cousin in Adelaide and then return home with our friend Grace.  By then I trust we will have an ‘Oh what a feeling’ for the RAV4.

Reflections

A few blog entries ago, I talked about writing some reflections on my life.  Here is my first one about my Granddad.

Arthur Thomas Neil circa 1913/4

Arthur Thomas Neil was my mother’s father – the only grandparent my brother, Michael, and I knew.  My Dad was born in 1897 and his parents died before he married my Mum in 1948.  My Mum’s mother died from Golden Staph infection in 1920, just a few weeks after Mum was born.

I have very fond memories of Granddad.  I remember meeting him at the bowling club in St Leonards Park, North Sydney.  I remember him taking us for drives in his car.  The car had an indicator light between the front and back doors that popped out when he wanted to turn a corner.  He did not have to give an arm signal, like other drivers.  One trip I remember was to the wildlife park near Castle Hill, complete with a talking cockatoo.  He, my aunts and uncles came to Christmas Day functions that my parents hosted at the gym (where we lived).

My memories of him are so pleasant that I want my grandchildren to call me Granddad.

I remember when Mum received the news that Granddad had died in early 1958, when I was seven.  She cried, which I thought was unnecessary, as we knew he was sick and dying.  I still have a similar attitude to death.  I know I am unusual compared with most people.  Death is a stark reality in life, which I think we do not face realistically enough.  Death is always more tragic at a younger rather than older age.  The world inflicts unnecessary death on its peoples due to wars, famines and other human inflicted problems as we are seeing so starkly in the Middle East.  I think we now spend too much time and money in the modern world, keeping people alive instead of allowing nature to take its course.  I wonder where sit I in this scenario? 

No comments:

Post a Comment