07 February 2014

A Large Dose Of Reality

Barbara and I have just returned from meeting with a colorectal surgeon and booking me for an operation on Tuesday 25 February at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPAH).  So this entry is the story of why this is necessary.
The pole marking the intersection of three states
At one of the three midnights

Three months of discomfort

Returning from Uganda in late October, I felt that my bowels were problematic.  This was discussed with Registrar Florian and then Dr Lisa in early November (last blog entry).  Although the blood tests showed things were good, we agreed that I would see Dr Sean Griffin, my gastroenterologist, and arrange a colonoscopy.  This appointment was arranged for 5 February.  However, my discomfort grew with multiple daily toilet visits required by the time Christmas came.

We travelled 3500 kilometres with Lesley and Stephen, his two brothers and my brother meeting us at Cameron Corner on the border of NSW, South Australia and Queensland to celebrate three new years half an hour apart.  I am glad we did the 10 day trip but I could not face it now.

Speeding things up

In mid January, I decided I could not travel to Uganda and went to my GP to seek an earlier appointment with Dr Sean, which was moved to 20 January and when Dr Sean arranged a colonoscopy for 5 February.  Meanwhile, due to my level of discomfort, I cancelled writing and facilitation work with the Australian Institute of Company Directors.  I have been endeavouring to keep on top of things to do with Uganda and other administrative matters.

By 10 am this Wednesday the colonoscopy was complete and Dr Sean advised that there was now a new polyp at the entry from the bowel to the rectum that is causing blockage issues.  That afternoon we were rung by colorectal surgeon Associate Professor Christopher Young’s, personal assistant for an appointment at 1.30 this Friday afternoon, 7 February.  Dr Sean acts fast!

Today, at the RPAH Medical Centre

Thus, today, Barbara and I have been updated on my situation.  On Tuesday 25 February I will be operated on to remove part of my anus and all of the rectum and then the bowel will be attached to my skin in the lower abdomen for a colostomy bag to be attached.  Chris explained why this is necessary.  It is not possible to remove the two polyps and leave the rectum and anus working normally.  It is not sensible to leave the cancerous polyps in my body unless Chris decides it is too difficult to remove them while he is conducting the surgery.

Additionally, Drs Sean, Lisa and Chris have been talking with each other.  My metastasis cancer situation in the liver remains inoperable.  The prognosis remains about two to three years of life due to the liver cancer.  It is likely the bowel cancer would now cause an earlier death.  Thus, it is worth the bowel operation to maximise my remaining life.  I am grateful that under our health system that these choices can be made.  You can argue strongly that it is not worth conducting the bowel operation as I have a limited lifetime remaining anyway.

Under our Medicare system and our Australian Unity private health insurance my 7 to 10 days in hospital are paid.  We will also be assisted in payment of the doctors too.  I am grateful for living in a wealthy country that invests in the public wellbeing of its citizens.  Because my situation is serious, I have been prioritised in the surgery.  As we were paying for the consultation, Chris’s personal assistant was on the phone explaining to the elective surgery patient that her 25 February operation had just been rescheduled.

Next we visited the admission centre for the hospital and were helped in booking my stay in hospital, including checking that my health fund covered me.  We were also scheduled for me to see the anaesthetist on 18 February and undertake other pre-admission checking, which will take 3 to 4 hours.  Then we went to Alfred Imaging to arrange for my Tuesday 11 February scheduled CT scan to cover what Dr Chris and Dr Lisa want checked.  They will each get reports.

These three appointments were all the RPAH Medical Centre building on floors 4, 2 and ground, just down the road from the hospital.

Next Steps and Our Changed Plans

Wednesday 12 February I will be seeing Dr Lisa and will learn what the overall situation, especially with the liver cancer, is.

So what will the first half of 2014 be like now for Barbara and I?  I will be in hospital for 7 to 10 days from 25 February.  In the meantime I am at risk of blockage in my bowel, in which case I would have to go to Emergency at RPAH.  Dr Chris said I should drink lots of water to reduce this risk and make sure I took action if I end up with stomach pains.  Lately I have not been leaving the house much due to the risk of toileting accidents.  Indeed, we have driven to the appointments even though it is only a 20 minute walk.  I am hoping that I can get myself out and about a bit for the next 18 days.

We will not be travelling overseas.  Sadly, Barbara will not be able to visit her friend Jo Anne on the west coast and her Mom and relatives on the east coast.  We will not be arriving 5 minutes apart at Heathrow on 10 March, visiting new people and staying on the Scilly Isles with Pete and Tansy and I will not be visiting Uganda on the way home in mid April.

Recovery

Dr Chris advised it will take me about 3 months to recover and some days I am likely to feel so tired that I spend most of the day in bed.  Sadly, I do not see myself being able to facilitate seminars, etc.  I am aiming to keep Uganda and other matters going.
Textbooks in steel cabinet at Canaan School, Kamuli, Uganda
Students using textbooks provided by The BezCan Project
Thank you for your expressions of love, support and prayers.  I feel my energy levels have held up despite the amount of discomfort I have felt for some time.  This is a sign the cancer is remaining dormant, which we will find out from Dr Lisa on Wednesday.  I will do another update then.

You might find it strange that I can write this immediately after returning home but for me it is cathartic.  I know you who read this blog care for me, which is comforting.

Meanwhile, you are welcome to email me as long as you understand you might not get an individual answer.  You are also welcome to phone but remember I could be indisposed when you ring.  I am hoping to be out and about and see some of you over the next two weeks depending on how my bowels behave!


Finally, thank you Barbara, you have looked after me so well these last few weeks.  Thank you for your love.  I love you!

The Hey-Cunninghams Christmas Eve 2013

2 comments:

  1. Hi David, thanks for posting this update. I appreciate knowing just where things are up to. It is always encouraging to see how positive you can be even when faced by significant challenges - you're amazing! You are loved by many people who will collectively and individually support you at this tough time. I will be continuing to pray for you, Barbara and the family as you tackle this latest health issue with courage, determination and (even) humour. Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, Your optimistic approach to life has always been an encouragement to others. Our prayers for comfort and a speedy recovery are always with you. May the surgeons and physicians be guided by His most powerful hand. Noel & Lynne.

    ReplyDelete