24 April 2013

"It's a Keeper"


‘It’s a keeper’ cries Roger as I read the message just received from Barbara:

To Grandpa David....  Our first grandchild is Born 13/04/2013, weighing 3.7kg and 51 cm long with dark hair.  Everyone is thrilled.

My brother and I are in the lounge bar with most of our fellow passengers on the True North, afternoon of 15 April.  Fishing is one of the activities that most passengers love.  A ‘keeper’ is a fish that is large enough to be legally kept.  So, my granddaughter is worthy to be kept – for sure!  Our fellow travellers were warm in their congratulations and best wishes.

I returned home from Broome on Monday 22 April and met my granddaughter on Tuesday afternoon.  She slept peacefully in her bassinet during Barbara’s and my visit.  I am looking forward to holding her and getting a decent photo of her and me.




What I missed

I knew I would be away when my grandchild was born but several other major events occurred around Club 55 while I was away:
  • Muggles died (put to sleep) on first weekend I was away as he had a serious urinary tract blockage.  He was with us over 11 years; almost four times longer than any previous pet I had. Muggles was buried beneath his favourite bit of garden near the back gate.  Buttons is feeling lonesome.
  • Our builder, Andy began his work repairing our parapet wall at the front of Club 55.  In May last year, strong winds blew the parapet wall over in the middle terrace causing major damage.  We suffered some minor damage.  Scaffolding now covers the front of the house.  Andy will also paint the house with waterproof paint.
  • On the last weekend I was away, one of our sons and his wife moved into their own home.

So much change has occurred in a few weeks.






The Kimberley

My brother and I are added to the list of people who have fallen in love with the Kimberley in the north of Western Australia.  Every person I meet who has been to the Kimberley raves about it.  Cruising the coast in True North is a wonderful way to view the incredible coastline, sail in and out of rivers, push into waterfalls, view marvellous Aboriginal rock art, clamber over rocks and rills, and helicopter into secret picnic areas situated on large pools complete with waterfalls.

So, this is a special edition of DHC Hope blog with some extra photos to celebrate some special events.


David and termite nest, Cathedral Gorge,
Bunble-Bungles
Kimberley sunrise
True North at anchor
My bed in our room
Fanciest toilet roll folding I've seen
My brother adding toppings to his congee in the kitchen
My macchiato - very civilised!
King George River Falls
DC3 WWII wreck near North East Bay
Brothers aboard the helicopter to Eagle Falls
Helicopter atop Eagle Falls heli-picnic area
Brothers-in-arms at the Mitchell Falls
Study in green at high tide
Aboriginal art at Bigge Island
Inscribed Boab tree on Careening Bay
Natural wild life
Artificial wild life
One of the salt water crocodiles-a-plenty
Modern croc shooting
Where fresh meets salt water on Jackson Falls Creek
King Cascade Falls
Into King Cascade Falls aboard True North
Melaleuca Falls, our second help-picnic spot
Helicopter departing True North
Helicopter approaching True North I
Helicopter approaching True North II
Helicopter approaching True North III
Boab at Raft Point
Aboriginal Art at Raft Point
Returning to True North at Raft Point
Tide rushing out across Montgomery Reef
Riding through the Horizontal Falls
Water falling about a metre through the
Horizontal Falls
 
Neap and spring tide high water marks
visible at Talbot Bay
 
View of the Horizontal Falls from the helicopter
Man's iron ore mine at Koolan Island
Our final afternoon - communal bathing at Silica Beach
Kimberley sunset I
Kimberley sunset II
Kimberley sunset III with crescent moon and Jupiter



No comments:

Post a Comment