28 November 2012

Good News Galore!


Monday, 26 November, Barbara and I met with Dr Lisa Horvath, my oncologist.  The good news is that my liver continues to function normally.  So, my next appointment is February 4 with a CT scan scheduled in the prior week.  It is now seven months since my last chemotherapy and it is wonderful to remain chemo free.

In the last two weeks or so I have wondered about my liver and my last two nights of sleep were not as good as usual.  When I heard the news, I was relieved and surprised.  With the cancer still there, it is amazing that it remains dormant.  Thank you for all your good wishes, positive thoughts and prayers.

My Brother's 60th Birthday

My brother hosted 38 family and friends at Wilpena Pound Resort where he has worked for almost three years.  Most of our family attended.  It was wonderful being with him in his own environment.  Thursday 18 October, Barbara and I and six others celebrated dinner at the Prairie Hotel, Parachilna.

Friday almost everyone travelled through geological time in a seven-car cavalcade with my brother's commentary informing us all the way.  Saturday was the main event at lunch where he led us through several activities to learn more about him and each other and how we know him, ate lunch and sang ‘Happy Birthday’ as he blew out his candles.  That evening we went to Stokes Hill lookout and watched the sun setting over Wilpena Pound.  Sunday breakfast was the final official activity.  That afternoon 15 of us in three scenic flights flew over the Pound and beyond.

Entering Wilpena Pound where a local version of the
Beatles' Abbey Road cover took place before our eyes!
The Hey-Cunninghams at Stokes Hill Lookout
Barbara took this delightful picture at sunset
Looking north at Wilpena Pound on our scenic flight

Energy Levels

I have felt pretty normal over the last two months.  My busiest schedule was in the two weeks after my brother’s 60th birthday.  Barbara and I drove from Sydney via the Great Ocean Road in Victoria and the Limestone Coast in South Australia to Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Ranges. 

The famous Twelve Apostles on the Great Ocean Road
My travelling from Sunday 21 October to Sunday 4 November was:
  • flying in a light plane over Wilpena Pound and surrounding area
  • driving on Monday to Mildura, spending the night and driving 850 kilometres to Bathurst on Tuesday and staying with friends, Wednesday morning home, Thursday morning breakfast with neighbours
  • Friday facilitating the financial modules of the Company Directors Course in the city and Friday night going to ESFNG (Every Second Friday Night Group)
  • Saturday flying to Kuala Lumpur and staying with friends, Monday to Wednesday facilitating a three-day finance for non-financial managers seminar
  • Thursday flying to Bangkok and meeting with the client in the afternoon, Friday facilitating a one day financial seminar, Saturday flying back to Sydney
  • Sunday attending a friend’s 18th birthday party at Dawes Point under the Harbour Bridge
And I felt good!

The 18 year old
The guests

Becoming Grandparents

We are thrilled to share this good news: two of our sons and their wives are each expecting their first child in 2013.  We celebrated a daughter-in-law's 30th birthday.


We also celebrated Thanksgiving here at Club 55 with wider family and a friend.

Truly, the last two months have been filled with good things and in 2013 we will welcome two new people into the family – good news galore!

1 comment:

  1. Some really positive news in there David, great to read about it.

    ReplyDelete