29 March 2012

Living Normally

The six weeks up to our third oldest’s marriage on Saturday 17 March were very busy.  Through that time, I am thrilled that I was able to live normally and, mostly, handle the business well.  In this time: the laundry was renovated in four weeks; I facilitated at a number of seminars and updated my own and client seminar materials; we upgraded our Macintosh computers with help from Patrick, our recommended computer man (Mac and PC); we finalised our self-managed superannuation (pension) fund for the last financial year; I had three, three day chemotherapy treatments; there were some other family medical matters – phew!

Three eruptions

I did come unstuck three times.  The first was erupting with the superannuation fund auditor over a proposed accounting entry that would have double counted part of an asset and overstated revenue.  The second eruption was concerning building a cupboard within the renovated laundry with a supplier who was suggesting kitchen like cabinets while I wanted shelving.  The third eruption was with my sons who wanted to clear out the second lounge room for the bucks party day.  The second lounge room had become the storage room for what had been stored in the old laundry cupboards and the old unused toilet beside the laundry but was now being made part of a new second bathroom.  My tools, personally stacked by me, were part of what was stored.  I did not want them moved.  I felt like my ‘shed’ was being invaded.

These three eruptions were over-reactions.  When seeing Doctor Lisa, I talked about my chemo side effects, suggesting the eruptions were one.  She said this was most unlikely.  Oh well, I am to blame!

Andy to the rescue

Our builder, Andy Field, rescued me.  He was coming for the last day’s work in renovating the laundry.  He told me he had been thinking about new storage for the laundry.  He gave me his suggestion, with which I agreed, and said he would build it the next day, Friday.  I could not believe his commitment and generosity.  I gave him a hug.  We agreed the price.  I facilitated the financial modules of the Company Directors Course in Wollongong on that Friday.  I returned home to see the shelving completed.  Barbara said Andy was exhausted from the amount of work required to build the shelving in a day.  Saturday morning, we moved my tools into the new shelving along with many other items.  Other items were moved in to the bedrooms upstairs and the second lounge room was cleared out, the table tennis table set up and the bucks party underway – all by late morning.  Josh, Will and others coming to the bucks party did the work.  Andy saw his shelves being stacked as he cleared his tools from our house that morning.

Andy promised us he would do the renovations in four weeks and delivered.  When he said different trades people would come, they did.  Andy and Clay (his plumber) have worked together on different jobs over many years.  They both offered practical resolutions to problems encountered along the way.  One example was putting the water connections and power points for the washing machine, dryer and second refrigerator within the laundry tub cupboard.  They drilled holes on each side at the back of the laundry tub cupboard down near the floor.  The washing machine water pipes and electric cables fit neatly in and are unseen.

The final example of this level service was on Monday 12 March.  The cornice on the ceiling across the front of the shelving and tiles behind the laundry sink needed to be installed.  We also decided on the Saturday that the laundry tub should be moved 40mm left to better fit the refrigerator within the shelving.  Andy arranged for the trades people – the plasterers arrived an hour early to do the cornices, the plumber a little late to move the tub, and the tiler two hours early to do the tiling – all perfectly aligned, one after the other.

Packed to the rafters
White goods around the laundry tub
New bathroom - looking in the sliding door 
New shower in old unused toilet

Latest chemo round

I have just finished another round of chemo.  As usual I feel a little queasy.  Lately I have taken an anti nausea tablet at the end of each chemo round to break the queasiness feeling.  I have two more chemo rounds scheduled before we head in mid May for our five-week North American holiday.  I am looking forward to a couple of months free of chemotherapy.  The evidence is that the chemo is still helping as my blood tests continue to indicate pristine blood with the liver is functioning normally.  So, when we return, I will have a CT scan in early July and expect to recommence the maintenance chemotherapy.

This weekend we are spending four days in Canberra seeing the Renaissance Exhibit at the National Gallery and catching up with friends.

My blog is now up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment