01 May 2011

Point of No Return?


I have been reflecting on my current journey.  I realised that when I drove to Byron Bay to work on Friday 18 March, visiting relatives on the way and then staying a few days at the Gold Coast and visiting relatives and friends, that I was sicker than I knew.  It was just after the endoscopy and colonoscopy on the Monday.  On reflection, I noticed pain in my liver, particularly at night.  I used warmth to make it feel better.

Now, after two rounds of chemotherapy I have no pain in my liver and in the last week have felt energetic.

I think I might have been close to a point of no return.  I think my liver was deteriorating severely, which is supported by my oncologist asking me to start the chemotherapy one week earlier than first scheduled.  I feel that if I had gone much longer without seeking medical assistance that the liver would have deteriorated too far to be helped by chemotherapy.  Naturally, I could be wrong with this self-assessment but the great improvement between how I was feeling at Byron Bay and the Gold Coast and today is stark.

I feel that the combination of the chemotherapy (medical assistance), positive thinking (mine and your human input) and prayers (spiritual input) have transformed my situation.  I am glad I did not pass the ‘point of no return’.

No comments:

Post a Comment